OUR COMMITMENT TO SUSTAINABILITY & THE ENVIRONMENT
Valley Isle Excursions is dedicated to protecting our environment, workers, guests and neighbors by conducting all operations and activities with “aloha” and in an environmentally sustainable manner. We are committed to complying with and striving to exceed all applicable laws and regulations. We recognize that maximum reduction of the impact of our activities is a critically important part of VIE’s role as environmental stewards of Maui – and the planet.
To be environmentally conscious leaders of Maui’s land-based tours by taking the role of stewards of the island Maui, and on a larger scale, Hawai’i and the Earth itself.
Our approach to business is guided by commitments to the following principles: Leadership, Inclusivity, Transparency, Integrity, Stewardship and Continuous Improvement.
- Being aware of our impact on the Earth, our children and our grandchildren is paramount.
- It is our responsibility to seek knowledge about the products we choose to utilize (and keep asking ourselves how we can consistently improve on those choices).
- Use the ancient ways and beliefs of Hawai’i to re-focus our attention in order to find, and stay, on the path to sustainability. (We believe this can be achieved on both individual and global levels via spreading “aloha” and teaching others how to “malama ‘aina” or care for the land.)
- Introducing our guests to the concept of “aloha” during the tour is our duty, not an option.
Objectives We Commit To
- Minimize environmental impacts in the areas of waste, water, energy and air quality by
- reducing energy use in the office
- recycling cans, bottles, oil containers and waste oil products.
- Give back to communities by volunteering and donating resources.
- Comply with all relevant environmental legislation, regulations and requirements.
- Reduce the amount of waste material produced whenever possible.
- Buy in bulk to reduce shipping and packaging materials
- Avoid the use of paper wherever possible.
- Avoid the use of postal services, saving on transportation and on paper.
- Recycle equipment that is no longer of use to the company.
- Keep energy usage low.
- Participate in recycling programs by the printer manufacturers.
- Purchase products made with recycled paper.
- Purchase products with a lower environmental impact.