Best Stops on the Road to Hāna: Hāna Harvest Cafe
When on the Road to Hāna, there are tons of sights to see, like Haleakalā National Park, the black sand beach at Wai’ānapanapa State Park, wildlife, waterfalls, and so much more. Aside from the wonderful natural attractions, a great stop on the Road to Hāna is the Hāna Harvest Cafe. The Road to Hāna is a long trip, so you’ll be glad if you stop here to eat some delicious locally-sourced food, have a fresh smoothie or espresso, and pick up a souvenir.
Enjoy the Handcrafted Menu with Local Ingredients
Chances are, you may want to try everything on their menu! A popular item is the fresh-baked banana bread made with local bananas. If you’re looking for something light and quick, you can grab the tropical smoothie of the day made with fresh locally grown fruit. If you need a little breakfast pick-me-up, they have handmade donuts with a tropical fruit filling that pairs perfectly with one of their espresso drinks or hot drip coffee. Ready for lunch? Hāna Harvest Cafe serves turkey or veggie sandwiches on freshly baked bread, pasta salad with farm-grown veggies, hana-grown purple sweet potato salad, and guacamole made with local avocados. You can take home a loaf of freshly baked bread or banana bread as well! If you are vegetarian or gluten-free, Hāna Harvest Cafe has options for you, too, even gluten-free banana bread!
Hāna Harvest Cafe Makes a Local Impact
The mission of Hāna Harvest Cafe is to promote regenerative farming practices while generating economic opportunities for local farmers. On their website, you can see a list of featured local farmers and what they provide for the cafe. Some farmers contribute a variety of fruit like papayas, bananas, and citrus for smoothies, some offer microgreens, tomatoes, and eggplant for sandwiches, and others offer jams, jellies, and hot sauces, and even all-natural skincare products. So, no matter what you decide to enjoy at the cafe, you know you are getting incredibly fresh items while supporting locals in the process.
Why We Love Hāna Harvest Cafe
Hāna Harvest Cafe has a lot of core values that resonate with Valley Isle Excursions. They promote the well-being of the community, not just by sourcing local, but by educating visitors on how to be a good guest. You will notice their signage that gives visitors important information.
Drive With Aloha
- Focus on the road, not the landscape around you
- Drive with full awareness and use defense around corners and turns
- If there is a build-up of traffic behind you, please pull over and allow the locals to pass by.
- Absolutely no stopping or stalling on bridges, under rockfall and landslide prone areas.
- Driving the road to Hana is highly discouraged on occasion of heavy rains and high winds.
- Take caution and plan accordingly for areas of rural landscape, limited accommodations and amenities.
- If no welcoming signage is visible, consider the area private property and do not intrude.
Take Only Memories, Leave Only Footprints
- Dispose of waste properly. Do not pollute our streams and oceans.
- Utilize “reef-safe” sunscreen/bug-repellent, products free of oxybenzone to avoid ocean and stream contamination.
- Did you know Maui County landfills are almost to capacity? The main landfill only has 2 years of space expectancy left. Hana landfill is a small residential landfill not suitable for commercial use.
- Do your part to create less waste overall and DO NOT bring in your waste from other parts of the island to dump in our small rural location.
- Respect the wildlife.
- Do not remove or displace soil, rocks or sand from beaches, mountains or roadsides.
Hana Harvest Cafe Core Values
Hana Harvest Cafe has signage posted that displays their core values including:
We nurture the soil as the foundation of our agricultural system by employing and encouraging regenerative farming practices.
- RESPONSIBLE TOURISM
We treat people with respect and kindness and promote sustainable and responsible tourism.
- HANA FIRST
We seek to support the land, people, culture and community of Hana in everything we do. We prioritize sourcing from Hana farmers and vendors and recruit employees from within the Hana community.
- PASSIONATE, PURPOSEFUL PEOPLE
We seek out people who are passionate about our mission and purposeful about carrying it out. We want to see our employees and partners achieve their highest versions for themselves and support them in growing within, or beyond, the company.
- BE A MODEL, AMPLIFY IMPACT
We share our know-how about creating an environmentally sustainable and economically successful business model in order to amplify the impact on our island and in our world.
Where is Hāna Harvest Cafe?
Hāna Harvest Cafe can be found between mile markers 26 and 27 on the Road to Hāna. It has bright yellow signage to help travelers see it more easily. Once you pull into their driveway, you’ll be greeted with a beautiful landscape full of tropical flowers and palm trees that perfectly set the ambiance.
Book the Road to Hāna Tour with Valley Isle Excursions
The local, skilled tour guides at Valley Isle Excursions can drive you through the Road to Hāna and make stops along the way so you can get the most out of the experience. Get picked up at your hotel and find a comfy seat on the extra roomy 12-passenger custom-built van so you can come holoholo with us while experiencing paradise with a local perspective! Book your tour today!