Hawaiian Style Turkey Marinade
- Start with an 8-12 pound turkey. For bigger birds double the recipe.
- 1 quarts (4 cups) Aloha brand Shoyu (soy sauce) Substitute with low sodium soy sauce if needed.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 8-12 ginger coins (peeled ginger root sliced ¼ inch thick)
- ½ cup Saki
- 1 ½ cup pineapple juice. (I prefer ½ or more of a fresh Maui Gold pineapple peeled,cored,diced and pureed)
- 4-5 garlic cloves (minced in garlic press)
- 3-5 fresh Rosemary sprigs about 4” long
- Combine ingredients in a saucepan.
- Warm on low heat till sugar dissolves. I like to let it simmer a little longer till it starts to smell and taste perfect.
- Let marinade cool and place in roasting bag or turkey sized ziplock bag with the bird. Add water, chicken stock, pineapple juice or a combo of each till turkey is covered.
Refrigerate overnight or up to 48 hours. Rotate bird periodically.
Cook turkey as directed or until internal temperature (use a meat thermometer) reaches 170 degrees. Baste every 30 minutes or so while roasting with Huli Huli sauce, your favorite Hawaii/Asian marinade or use reserved marinade boiled in a sauce pan for 10-15 minutes.